Schwarzenegger: I fathered a secret child

Schwarzenegger: I fathered a secret child
I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family'; Shriver asks for privacy
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger with his wife Maria Shriver after taking the oath of office at the Capitol in Sacramento, California, Nov. 17, 2003.


Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has acknowledged that he fathered a child with a member of his household staff, a revelation that apparently prompted wife Maria Shriver to leave the couple's home before they announced their separation last week.

Schwarzenegger and Shriver jointly announced May 9 that they were splitting up after 25 years of marriage. Yet, Shriver moved out of the family's Brentwood mansion earlier in the year after Schwarzenegger acknowledged the child is his, The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

"After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago," Schwarzenegger said in a statement. "I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.
Happier times: Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver

"I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time," the statement concluded. "While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not."

Schwarzenegger's representatives did not comment further.

NBC News reported Tuesday that California's former first lady issued a statement: "This is a painful and heartbreaking time. As a mother, my concern is for the children. I ask for compassion, respect and privacy as my children and I try to rebuild our lives and heal. I will have no further comment."

The Times did not publish the former staffer's name but said the woman worked for the family for 20 years and retired in January.
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver in happier times
Actor and bodybuilder Arnold Schwarzenegger shows off his new U.S. citizenship papers with Maria Shriver by his side at the Shrine Auditorium in Hollywood, Calif., on Sept. 16, 1983.
California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and his wife Maria Shriver with their children, left to right, Christopher, Patrick.Katherine and Christina, at the premiere of the film "The Benchwarmers" in Los Angeles, California on April 2, 2006.
Source:www.msnbc.msn.com