My Name: My Identity

So before I start with my topic, I have made a resolution to update my blog at LEAST ONCE A WEEK!!!

So as I'm approaching graduation, I still haven't secured a job out of college. I thought I would at least have some advantage due to an experienced resume, but obviously that's not the case. As I'm applying to countless jobs, there's always a hint of hope to expect some sort of reply back. But I've noticed that the advancement of technology is not always a good thing. Of course it's great being able to apply for numerous jobs at one time, but I feel there's no personal interaction between the person who would consider you for the actual position. That job is up to those at human resources who get to make the ultimate decision if your the right person in their terms.

Recently, I've become very intrigued in my Labor Economics course I'm taking this quarter. One topic we've covered is Discrimination in the Labor Market, one that I never though I'd go through. With numerous job submissions and no replies from any I'm interested in, I've begun to question my identity. Is my name too ethnic? Does my address signify I'm from a "ghetto" area? Is being a female not necessarily head strong enough to survive in a fast paced environment? Do all my qualifications suddenly become ignored because I don't have a personal reference "in the business"? Most of these things I have no control over, but the ones that really hit me or made me think a little more about things is from place of origin and my name given to me at birth.

First of all, I really like my name, it's very unique and fits me. The next thing is that I live in a pretty okay neighborhood, though my surroundings aren't ideal. A name and location should never put a hindrance to the chances of being considered for a job your well qualified.

This has had me questioning my future, once again I know. I'm ready to make a name for myself, but how can I when I'm not even getting a chance to be looked upon. It's a fact that 2/3 resumes are thrown away (not even considered) for any job. Am I another statistic? Even though the economy is still not in shape, I never once considered that I would have trouble finding a job. Reflecting back, it seemed that I got more job replies when I put my address in Irvine. Is it a coincidence? I don't know for sure, but these connections I'm putting together are not encouraging.

My journalism teacher even told me that 90% of the jobs he got was from someone he knew from that specific job. Why is there even higher education when in the end networking is what gets you places? I mean I'm not fortunate enough to know people in the media industry, but I know I have more than enough qualifications for any entry level job. If I can only get my foot in the door somehow, I'd take it and run with it...

Check out this article from my Labor Economics class to see where I got the idea for this blog from: https://eee.uci.edu/10s/62460/readings/bertrand_mullanaithan.pdf


You Just Do You, Imma Do Me,


Camille Mendez